Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Review - Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women (Elizabeth Wurtzel)

Plot Summary: The author of the bestselling Prozac Nation presents a fascinating tract on the history of female behavior and how it has been interpreted and misinterpreted.

My thoughts: I found this book very interesting. It's a little outdated at this point because it was published in 1998, so she references headline news of that time period, like Amy Fisher and Nicole Brown Simpson - both of whom have entire chapters devoted to them.

Wurtzel takes on the idea of women and how the world views them as opposed to how it views men. I found most of her writing interesting but not particularly insightful or shocking. It's not news to me that women are generally paid less than men. It's not news to me that the public views a mother's role differently they they do a father's role. But it was still an interesting read.

The one thing that really bothered me about the book was that Wurtzel basically let Amy Fisher off the hook for shooting Mary Jo Buttafuoco. She goes on and on about how Amy was only seventeen years old at the time she met Joey and was a young, impressionable girl only looking for love and was just happy to have found someone who would pay attention to her. Granted, he did coerce into a life of prostitution and talked her into shooting Mary Jo but Amy was the one who picked up the gun and was one old enough to know that a bullet into someone's head could possibly cause some damage, possibly even death. Amy does deserve a little leeway because of the situations she was put into by Joey but Wurtzel gives her a little too much slack. In my opinion, at least.

Other than that mild faux pas, it's a very good, fast-paced, captivating read - although I wish I had read it when I was younger and could actually learn something from it.


No comments: