Monday, January 18, 2010

Musing Mondays


MUSING MONDAYS is hosted at Just One More Page.

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about tidy reading around people.

When is it inappropriate to read in front of others? Is it ever appropriate?

This is a great question! I'm sure the answer would be vastly different if you asked a non-reader, but as a reading junkie, I have to say that, while it can be inappropriate to read in front of others, I still do it! I feel that it's absolutely fine to read while in a waiting room, if you're eating alone at a restaurant, or even if you're hanging out with a friend - in certain circumstances. I have a friend / co-worker who reads just as much as I do, and when the weather is nice, we go outside during our lunch hour and sit and read together. I think it's okay as long as you're not being anti-social, or rude, and if the person with whom you're sitting is okay with it. I even read while spending time with my boyfriend! He's a big sports fan, and when he turns on the hockey game or soccer match, I open my book. He doesn't mind, and it's actually the most peaceful reading time I have, because I'm with the person whose company I enjoy the most, doing the activity I most enjoy.

2 comments:

caite said...

I think it is always appropriate to read...until proven otherwise!

Rebecca Johnson said...

I love your response, very much in agreement :)

And welcome to MM!